Friday, March 25, 2011

The Link Not Taken

(apologies to Robert Frost)


Two links emerged on a search return,

And sorry I could not click on both

And be one surfer, long I churn

And read down one to try and learn

Which to choose and which to spurn.


Then read the other, as just for sure,

And having perhaps the better claim,

It’s URL promised pure;

Though as statistics did ensure

Users clicked both about the same.


So both upon that screen did lay

With promise but unproven track.

Oh, I kept the first for another day!

Yet knowing how link leads to link along the way,

I doubted if I should ever come back.


I shall be telling this with a sigh

Somewhere ages and ages hence:

Two links diverged in a search, and I--

I took the one less Googled by,

And that has made all the difference.

No comments: